Properly Preparing for Emergency Situations
The Ready Project and Lindon Farms - Helping Us to Prepare for an Uncertain Future
Take a glimpse at how they are doing it.
Lindon Farms - Today in America
Lindon Farms™ uses a combination of freeze-dried and dehydrated ingredients. In some cases freeze-dried is ideal, and for other items dehydration is most appropriate. For example, a freeze-dried strawberry is convenient since rehydration is unnecessary and it can be consumed easily in cereal or as a snack. Another example would be freeze-dried lasagna with meat where it is frozen, dried and packaged for easy rehydration. In soups and other mixes where the ingredients will be rehydrated in warm or boiling water, dehydrated ingredients are best. When space is a concern dehydrated ingredients can take up less than a 1/3 of the space that freeze-dried ingredients do.
The most important factors in long-term shelf life foods are:
1. Ingredients: Are the ingredients suitable for long-term shelf life? For example: even in ideal storage conditions studies show almonds may only keep for 12-24 months before they turn rancid.
2. Moisture Free: Is the product moisture free when packaged?
3. Packaging: Packaging plays a crucial role in prolonging shelf life. Ideally packaging should provide an effective barrier against oxygen, moisture, light and insects.
4. Oxygen Free: Is the product packaged with an appropriately sized oxygen absorber? While appropriate for oxygen displacement in most packaged foods you would find at the grocery store, a nitrogen flush is not sufficient for long-term shelf life. An appropriately sized oxygen absorber will continue to remove oxygen for years if used properly. Be wary of companies with extensive shelf-life claims where oxygen absorbers are not used.
5. Storage conditions: a cool, dry location is ideal. Do your best to store your food storage items at or below room temperature.
* This information is relatively conservative and meant to be used as a guideline, but is not a guarantee.
* Moisture Free – dehydrated and freeze-dried ingredients can reach 97%+ moisture free status.